The new under the radar trend for summer

A few months ago I was putting up another attempt at cleaning my room when I stumbled upon a box full of junk, including an elaborate collection of animal shaped erasers, hardened sticky tack to put magazine pages up on the wall and a few starry anklets. I thought of how they could look cool when combined with some funky mules, but the idea later moved to my subconsciousness as I found a pile of my 8 year old writing.

Flash forward to a few days ago, when I find myself scrolling through Instagram and coming by picture of manrepeller’s Leandra Medine aka style guru aka relatable dork aka the coolest uncool person in fashion.

The photo in question featured leandra’s feet, wearing a pair of bomb leopard printed mules and, gasp, anklets.

Defeated and dissapointed in myself for forgetting that anklets have huge potential, I set out to investigate the allure of The Ankle Bracelet, also known as The Anklet.

I started off this inspection by taking a closer look on the origins of the anklet. I consulted the good ol’ World Wide Web for this task, and as always it did not disappoint. Actually, humans and anklets go way back! In ancient Egypt, women of all classes liked to adorn themselves with ankle bracelets made out of different metals. However, during the Bronze Age, Europeans loved a sturdy bronze anklet. South Asian and Indian culture also has a long history of anklets, and the jewelry is still culturally significant to this day. These anklets are, for example, a traditional gift for the new bride. Sometimes, these anklets have little bells attached, making rinkling sounds when walking.

I feel like anklets make the perfect Summer accessory because of several different reasons. One being that they come in all styles and colours, being an option for everyone. I'm very fond of the colourful beaded version myself, but whatever your heart's deepest desires are: there is probably an anklet representing just that. The second reason why anklets are bound to be the next big trend, is the fact that they are the perfect addition to your shoes, upping your shoe accessory game by 2016998 points. You can even combine them with socks. Need I say more?

 
From Leandra Medine's instagram, unknown.

 
Both from Marianne Theodorsen's instagram.

That's it. See ya.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten