A Realistic Winter Flatlay

Dear Readers,

there's something I need to tell you.

*leans in closely and glances around suspiciously, as if I were about to reveal to you the top-secret coordinates of the snowy mountain in which the proof that we're living in a simulation is buried*

"You know those Flat Lay posts I always do? Yeah, well... I never really use that stuff very often. It just looks pretty. "

Am I a horrible person now? Are my seasonal flat lays nothing more than an insignificant example of my ongoing desire to show off my materialistic side? And, most importantly, does this make me a superficial person? 

It takes only a short scrolling through my blogposts to find several examples of these so called flat lays. Each one follows a basic format that revolves around a certain theme (f.e Summer, literature, ...): a bunch of visually appealing objects displayed in an interesting way on some kind of flat surface. My preference goes out to objects like beauty products (extra points for pretty perfume bottles), books, records, shoes, clothes, magazines, jewellery, and often a bunch of cards or photos or random shells from a beach in somewhere in France that you found a long time ago and can't seem to get rid of.

If you take away the stuff I use only for practical reasons, you're left with that weird pile of rather run down, yet eccentric objects. On itself, almost none of these items show of great significance. However, it's about the value I attach to them. A copy of my favorite book (The Secret History by Donna Tartt, if you didn't already know due to my semi-hysteric fangirl outbursts) might not be worth much to the world, nor induce a global revolution. Nonetheless, it is worth much to me, and maybe it even set off a tiny revolution in me, and maybe that's enough for it to be meaningful. 

But doesn't the value I attach to objects come from my mind rather than the object itself? After all, this copy of The Secret History is worth nothing to me without the deep sentimental worth I gave it, and no one can take that away from me. With that idea in mind, I could go on to get rid of these minor, insignificant objects I put in my flat lays all together.

But that's not what I'm here for today.

Today I thought I'd switch things around, do something absolutely CRAZY and do a realistic flatlay post. Because that's just who I am, with my QUIRKY and ABSOLUTELY ORIGINAL and WEIRD ideas.

(Do you ever get tired of your own writing? Reading the above, I do.)

So, without further incoherent nonsense/teen girl whining, behold my Realistic Winter Flatlay featuring only four objects, each one for practical purposes.

CHARGER AND HEADPHONES

My charger has been one of my ultimate Winter essentials this year because my phone keeps dying. I recently went outside, took out my phone a few minutes later and it was literally so cold the battery just died. I should probably get it checked. The headphones are for a) bike rides and b) because I'm an antisocial prick and sometimes the Winter Blues get the best of me. Nothing says 'don't even try and talk to me' more than headphones.


LIGHT BLUE HAT

This thing not only keeps me warm but makes me look like I have a giant head! That's two positives.


SCRUNCHIE

So apparently I have long hair now? When did that happen? It's now long enough to put up into a low bun and since I've had pixie cuts for four years, my hair tie collection is nonexistent. Funnily enough, this scrunchie isn't even mine (I "borrowed" it from a friend) but I've been wearing it constantly to hide my static Winter hair and because I love the feeling of having hair long enough to put into a bun.

That's it. Did I really just write an entire post mocking my own posts?

Love,

Cato

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten